Thursday, October 14, 2010

Preparing for Takeoff

So, I leave for Poland on Saturday. For those who don't know, here's the basic lowdown on how I found myself being a world traveler this fall.

In May, one of my professors contacted me to see if I was interested in a online collaboration with Polish schools. Of course, I was all over it. Then, I found out that I was to be on the planning committee for this project, which meant that a grant written by some university faculty would be funding my trip to Poland in October. For a week. Right after the first marking period. When grades are due. So, I weighed the options, we prayed about it, I talked with my colleagues and principal... and then I was reminded of my other blog, and my frugal ways, and how I love to travel when someone else is footing the bill...and here I am.

My lesson plans will get made tomorrow during our work day, in and around parent conferences about report cards. I'll finalize my presentations for our conference in Poland for the educators there, and make sure I have the digital camera to be able to share pictures and blog posts with my kiddos back here in the High Country. The cool thing about doing this during the year is that the kids are super excited about it. They want to see the Polish schools (which we'll tour four of) and anything else I can take pictures of. And of course, they asked for souvenirs... chocolate, being the main one. So, I'll see if I can find this "famed" Polish chocolate they all seem to be obsessed with... though I've never heard of such. But, it wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong! :)

Tomorrow evening and Saturday morning, I'll get all my things packed into my carry-on luggage... no checked bags for this girlie. One lost bag was enough to cure me of that for a while. Hey, if I did a month in Germany with no checked luggage, I can do a week in Poland with just the carry-on stuff. The schedule is pretty flexible right now, so I'm not sure exactly what we'll be doing while we're there, outside of the professional schmoozing that seems expected (this will be tough for me... the university faculty seem much better adept at this).

So, this blog is where you'll be able to check in on me. I'm told there's internet in our hotel, even in the rooms, so it should be fairly easy for me to do daily posts. So, please check back often and leave me some love in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. Exciting, for sure! Keep an eye on where the folks in Poland are with regard to sustainable living... energy resources... etc. Please! And of course, you can bring back some Polish chocolate for the family too! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Allyson! What an awesome opportunity! I look forward to reading more. Have a fantastic time and safe travels to you!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allyson,
    We miss you, but are excited about your adventure! Good luck with the schmoozing...
    Just ask people lots of questions about themselves, nod and smile appropriately : )
    You Rock

    ReplyDelete